Friday 20 March 2009

That'll be £2.000 for a pint of Bulmers please....

Firstly I apologise for my epic lack of content as of late, but coursework has got the better of me...

Now as many of you are probably aware, The Uk's top medical advisor has revealed plans to introduce a minimum alcohol price, in an effort to curb binge drinking and the misuse of alcohol.

Sir Liam Donaldson's ridiculous plan is to ensure that no drinks can be sold for less than 50p per unit, which in context would mean that it would be at least a fiver for my favourite brand of cider. This enrages me greatly...

A Department of Health spokeswoman said: "We have not ruled out taking action on very cheap alcohol - it's clearly linked to people drinking more and the subsequent harm to their health." She said more work needed to be done to make sure action was "appropriate, fair and effective" but decisions would take the "wider economic impact during this difficult time" into account.

I said "Shut up you fat cats and allow me to drink Bulmers this summer for it's usual appropriate price (about £2.50 per bottle)"

No matter how expensive you make alcohol, it will not deter any little chavs from mugging a poor old woman to fund their wkd addiction, whilst getting their deranged Uncle Bob to go and buy them a pack of 20 fags for an evening of anti-social bliss!

For once Gordon Brown may actually do the right thing and veteo this idea; just goes to show you that wonders never fail to happen.

Thanks to Barry for supervising SB whilst I was away!

:-)

5 comments:

  1. That'll be £2.000 for a bulmers? If it is £2.50 at the moment, then it turns out you are SAVING £0.50

    I am sure chris knows where I am coming from...and ross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I like that! Rudimentary maths is a wkd mistress huh?

    Six cans of Rum and Coke, at 550ml per can and 1.3-1.5 units per can costs me $25.70. Or... in real money, £12.50. A pint bottle of Bulmers (about 470mls), at £2.50... times six... gives you £14 for six pints. (2.8 litres). I get 3.3 litres for £1.50 less than you do.

    However a pint of Bulmers is 2.6 units.

    Luckily, I have double shots with my bar-made ones, thus making it 2.6 as well AND for the same price as a normal one.

    And it tastes better.

    So overall, I win :D

    Jeeze that hurt my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, that should be £15.

    There is a reason I quit maths as well hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad idea.
    The rich won't care. They'll continue to get shitfaced without a care in the world. People on more modest incomes will be forced out of the pubs, destroying business for landlords and forcing them to close, worsening the recession.

    And will it stop drinking? Of course not! We'll just see an increase in home-brew, leading to people making drinks that they have no idea how strong they are, and probably an increase in alcohol poisoning as a direct result.

    As a medical adviser, I'm sure he's very good at his job, but this is stepping into economics territory. There is nothing wrong with somebody voicing an opinion or bringing up and idea, but let's see if he doggedly sticks to his opinion in the face of the critique his idea will surely get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the brewing of home made alcohol should be compulsary, the royal family should be shot and johnny rotten should be made Fuhrer, Ein Sex Pistols uber alles!!, Oh, you coming up for tea sunday lee??

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but I will unleash the wrath of Chuck Norris to any negativity.

You have been told...

Counter

free hit counter